Q:-[ Matiullah Amanzai]
As-salamu `alaykum. Dear Scholar, I have intended to go for Hajj this year, inshaa’ Allah. My mother, who is weak and ill, will be accompanying me and she may not be able to perform every act during Hajj. We are going to perform `Umrah first and then Hajj (Hajj Tamatu`). Could you, please, explain the most necessary (mandatory acts) of each, `Umrah and Hajj, so she could perform only those to fulfill all the obligations? Thanks.
Ans:-[ Sheikh Kifah Mustapha]
Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
Dear brother, let us first thank you for your question and for your care about your mother which, we wish, will be greatly rewarded, inshaa’ Allah.
Responding to you question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Associate Director at the Mosque Foundation, one of the largest Islamic Centers in Chicago, states,
For those performing Hajj Tamatu` the following rituals are the basics:
For `Umrah: assuming for Tamatu’ you will be arriving to Makkah before the eighth of Dhul-Hijjah, hence you have to:
- Enter the status of Ihram for `Umrah from the Miqat.
- Do tawaf around Ka`bah seven times.
- Do sa`ie between Safa and Marwah seven times.
- Cut hair.
You will finish the status of Ihram done for `Umrah, wait for the eighth of Dhul-Hijjah and from your place in Makkah you should do the following:
- 8 Dhul-Hijjah: Enter the status of Ihram again for Hajj.
- 8 Dhul-Hijjah: Head toward Mina to sleep.
- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart from Mina toward `Arafah.
- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Stay in `Arafah till after Maghrib.
- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart after Maghrib toward Muzdalifah.
- 9/10 Dhul-Hijjah: Pray Maghrib and `Isha’ combining Salat and shortening it in Muzdalifah. Pick up pebbles and sleep in Muzdalifah. “Elderly can leave after midnight”.
- 10 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart from Muzdalifah back to Mina and:
- Throw 7 pebbles at Jamra Kubra.
- Cut hair.
- Slaughter Hadye (Qurbani). (Usually done by paying money to someone else to do it.)
- Back to Makkah perform tawaf and sa`ie (ifadah).
- 10 Dhul-Hijjah: Back to tents to sleep in Mina.
- 11 Dhul-Hijjah: Throw pebbles 21 at Jamarat (7 at each). Also sleep in Mina.
- 12 Dhul-Hijjah: Throw pebbles 21 at Jamarat (7 at each). Also sleep in Mina.
- 13 Dhul-Hijjah: Choice of ending Hajj (ta`ajjul) or stay one more night with another 21 pebbles and sleeping in Mina.
- Back to Makkah performing Tawaf Al-Wada` (farewell tawaf).
I am sure the website has a detailed practice of how to perform both `Umrah and Hajj that you can refer to.
Allah Almighty knows best.